Ten people from the South Atlantic islands are being flown to Britain after cruise ship passengers linked to deadly hantavirus outbreak landed on their remote territory.
Officials said the group, from the UK overseas territories of St Helena and Ascension Island, had contact with infected passengers aboard the MV Hondius and are now being relocated ‘as a precautionary measure’.
The UK Health Security Agency said none of the group currently have symptoms, but they are being moved so they can complete isolation with access to specialist NHS treatment if needed.
Health officials said England ’s high-consequence infectious disease network was ‘well equipped’ should any of them become ill.
It is not yet known whether any of those being flown to the UK are British nationals.
Sign up for all of the latest stories
Turkish travel vlogger Ruhi Cenet remains haunted by the cruise continuing to visit remote communities on the southern most settlements on the planet.
‘I wish we did not land there after the first casualty, because along with us, there were a hundred more passengers, and they were interacting with the islanders,’ he said.
‘This is one of my regrets, because the island is the most remote one, and they don’t have enough medical centers, enough doctors.’
Cenet disembarked from the ship on the British overseas territory of Saint Helena on April 24, along with about 20 other passengers.
The medical evacuation comes as 20 Britons, along with a German resident of the UK and a Japanese passenger, prepare to leave isolation at Arrowe Park Hospital on the Wirral.
They were taken there after the MV Hondius docked in Tenerife on Sunday evening following the outbreak onboard.
A small number of people already isolating elsewhere in England will also be assessed at Arrowe Park, officials added.
Professor Robin May said authorities remained focused on keeping passengers safe and supported.
He thanked travellers for their ‘cooperation and patience’ during what he called a ‘very unsettling period’.
To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web
browser that supports HTML5
video
Earlier, the government of Ascension Island confirmed that several travellers currently on St Helena had been classed as higher risk after sailing on the vessel.
Officials stressed the likelihood of illness remained low but said UK experts had advised ‘pre-emptive relocation’ to Britain.
One British man infected with hantavirus is still being treated in Johannesburg and is believed to be improving, while another patient is in the Netherlands.
A third British national with the virus is isolating on the remote island of Tristan da Cunha.
Meanwhile, the head of the World Health Organization revealed some passengers had been ‘facing mental breakdown’ during weeks trapped onboard.
Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said it would have been ‘inhumane’ to force passengers to remain quarantined on the ship instead of allowing it to dock in Tenerife.
Speaking at a briefing on Tuesday, he praised Spain and Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez for allowing the vessel into the Canary Islands.
‘They have the right to be treated with dignity and compassion,’ Dr Tedros said.
Putin stockpiling 'unkillable' fibre-optic drones for 'future assault on NATO'
‘Some people around the world were calling for the passengers to remain contained on the ship for the full quarantine period.
Our view was that would have been inhumane, unnecessary, and even cruel.’
So far, 11 hantavirus cases linked to the cruise have been reported, including three deaths.
Despite fears over the spread, WHO chiefs insisted there was currently ‘no sign’ of a wider outbreak emerging.
Elsewhere, a French woman remains in intensive care in a stable condition at a hospital in Paris .
Arrow MORE: Hantavirus cruise passenger told symptoms were ‘just anxiety’ before positive test
Arrow MORE: Passengers reveal life of breakdowns, ‘Covid rules’, and the joy of fruit on virus cruise ship
Arrow MORE: People in gas masks and biological suits help evacuate hantavirus cruise passengers
Stay on top of the headlines with daily email updates.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Your information will be used in line with our Privacy Policy
Related Stories
Source: This article was originally published by Metro UK
Read Full Original Article →
Comments (0)
No comments yet. Be the first to comment!
Leave a Comment